American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
The American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) GW Student Chapter strives to develop interest, among undergraduate students, in the various fields of civil engineering through hands-on applications of academic and professional nature. Through our activities, members take advantage of concepts they learn in the classroom and apply it to real-life situations. Additionally, students gain a better understanding of life after undergraduate studies through professional development and networking events. Membership and involvement in GW ASCE also afford students multiple scholarship opportunities and resume advancement.
Our activities include:
- ASCE Steel Bridge Competition
- ASCE Concrete Canoe Competition
- ASCE Virginias Student Conference
- U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon
- Site Visits and Civil Engineering related Field Trips
- Community Service Projects
- University Outreach Events- Including events in conjunction with other engineering organizations
- Industry and Academia Speakers
During the Fall 2021 semester, the chapter meets monthly on Thursdays at 6:00 pm in Tompkins Hall. Meeting announcements are sent to Civil Engineering Students and Members. If you are interested in finding out more about GW ASCE you are welcome at all meetings or can email us at [email protected].
The chapter's officers are:
- President: Evalyn Maxwell
- Vice President: Harry Keo
- Events Coordinator: Abdurrahman Tauqeer
- Treasurer: Ashley Kraekel
- Secretary: Kathryn Burkey
- Steel Bridge Project Manager: Savana Stewart
- Steel Bridge Assistant Project Manager: Chris Lemkan
Our steel bridge GBMs are held once a month on Wednesdays at 9:00 pm. Design meetings for the team are held every Sunday at 11:00 am in Tompkins Hall 409.
The steel bridge team won second place in aesthetics in the 2022 regional contest.
Professor Samer Hamdar is the chapter's faculty advisor. Professor Kim Roddis is the faculty advisor for the steel bridge team. Additional information may be found on our Facebook page. Pictures may be seen at our Instagram Page.