5-year BS/MS Degree
GW's Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE) offers a five-year dual degree program for the bachelor and master of science degrees in civil engineering. This degree program can be found in the GW Undergraduate Bulletin, listed under School of Engineering and Applied Science, Special Programs, Five-Year Programs.
The five-year program differs from the standard bachelor of science degree program in civil engineering in the following ways:
- During the seventh and eighth semesters, the three 3-credit technical and design electives are taken at the graduate level (6000 level courses),
- One required graduate course is added to the standard bachelor's curriculum in the eighth semester. (see the GW Bulletin: Master of Science Degree Program, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Representative Areas of Focus Leading to the Master of Science for a list of required courses), and
- In the ninth and tenth semesters, the student takes the remaining two required graduate courses plus six 3-credit electives chosen with approval of the advisor.
The process and requirements for applying to the five-year dual degree program for the bachelor and master of science degrees in civil engineering are as follows:
- CEE undergraduate students of junior standing consult with their academic advisors to apply for the program.
- The undergraduate advisor recommends the correct graduate courses to the student for senior restricted electives.
- The student applies through the normal GW CEE MS application process during the student's 7th semester.
- Students must have a 3.0 GPA at the end of the eighth semester to be able to continue into the ninth semester.
- The B.S. will be awarded to those who do not have this GPA but who otherwise meet SEAS requirements for graduation with a bachelor's degree.
- All requirements for M.S. students in SEAS are in effect during the fifth year, or graduate portion, of the program.
For our Iranian, Syrian, Sudanese, and Cuban applicants that are having trouble accessing the application, please email [email protected] for more information and assistance.